Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Examinations August 2009-part 1

Why do I keep thinking that it's only February? On Monday, I woke up thinking it was the 24th of February. Even when I sat down to fill in my particulars onto the answeer booklet, I wrote on the date, "Monday, 24Th February' 2009". I din't notice it until I looked at my watch. It's arms read "1.45pm", and the date read "8-24 MO". Oh, how silly. It's August.

This semester, although I did study hard, I did not study as intensely as I did for the past semester, though I burnt the most fuel and time this semester compared to the past 2 semesters on revision.

Last Monday, Industrial Automation(IA). Slightly easier than the previous semester, but it's more tricky, especially in the case where you have to draw in additional stuff to answer the question. Expecting an A Grade for this paper. Hopefully a miracle would give me the AD Grade for the overall.

Monday, Engineering Mathematics 3B(EM3B). More difficult than the past year papers we tried, but still do-able. A confirmed B+ grade is expected, at least without any moderation. Hold on, do they even moderate the grades of candidates whose grades range from a low C to A+? I only know that the top 5% would get to have an extra "D" printed next to their A grade.

Today, Applied Mechanics(AM). I went to the wrong room for the first time, and thankfully, I wasn't late. On first look, I feared for the worst. I might not be able to complete the paper in time. 5 questions, 120 minutes. It wasn't a killer paper. It's the small font of the diagram on the first question which killed many candidates who sat for the paper today. If the markers are lenient, I'll get a possible 8 marks out of 12 for that first question. If they are strict, I'll get not more than 6 marks. The second question. When I received the paper to read during the first 5 minutes, I stared blankly at that question. Was I dreaming? I can't be dreaming after I drant a can of coffee, right?

The night before, I went to bed 4 hours early at 9.30pm. I dreamt of a classroom with an examination going on. Somehow I could just enter the class, and the invigilator simply smiled, and continued with her rounds. Third row, fifth column. there you were, sitting at the table, right arm supporting your head as you stared blankly at the paper. I stood behind, and I was stunned when I saw your question. Since when were you able to do a question that's not even tested at that level? I wanted so much to tell you how you would do it, but, she stared at me, with that look of suspicion that something might be up. I looked at her and smiled, before she said,"Ok, time's up!" Oh, that's my phone alarm ringing. It's 6.30am. Weird dream, huh.

That question. It was exactly the same as what I saw in that dream. The very first topic I learnt in AM. It's that question on Trusses. The shape of the structure I dreamt of was exactly the same. So were the values of the given external forces. I guess, to dream of a question that's being tested in an examination the next day isn't considered a cheating case right?Oh by the way, that was the first time I dreamt of a deja vu about an examination question, and also the first time I dreamt of seeing a deja vu through a second person.

This paper. I'm disappointed in myself. I allowed over 20 marks to fly out the window. Confirmed B+grade if the markers were strict, and a borderline A Grade if they were lenient. Overall, I'm expecting yet another B+ grade without moderation. If there's even any moderation that's done upward, I'll be able to get an A Grade.

Tomorrow's paper, Thermodynamics(TH). I did the bare minimum for this paper. Tomorrow, you'll see me playing around with the formulae to find the answers. As long as I can understand the questions, I would not have any problems answering the questions wrongly, unless, I did make some careless mistakes along the way. To get an overall A grade, I'll need to get at lest 85 marks for the paper tomorrow. Chances of a moderation for this module are slim, given how well the students did the past few tests and common test.

Hoping for the best for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment