Monday, February 09, 2009

Start of the End of Level One

After today, it's going to be 2 final tests, followed by the submission of 2 final assignments, followed by one final examination, and then, I can declare that I have done my best for the semester. I'm not expecting a GPA which is said to be beyond 'godlike', which was like my previous semester where I missed the bulls-eye by a mere 0.06 points. This semester did make me feel the crunch of last minute studying which has always been a habit that I had been trying to kick. At least there is some progress.I'm expecting a GPA as low as 3.5 for this semester.

Last week I had a 2-day and 2-night training camp in school. It was suppossed to be a training camp. Yes, but I guess only the second day can truly be considered to be the most intense day of training, which left all, if not most of us, instructors and coaches included, with muscle aches(if anyone did not have any muscle ache during those trainings, something might not have been right). The lodging was great. I was expecting to be bunking at a stuffy hostel room, lined with double-decked beds and overhead fans. The rooms that we were allocated to, was an exact opposite of what I expected all along. Our dormatory was comparable to an executive suite in a 4-star hotel!Wow. Thinking of what it's like to stay in there over the night? Pictures would be up soon enough, of course, if no one stops me from putting them up. On the first day(night, i mean), we had stretching sessions. Full splits, side splits, you name it. We even had practice sessions for a couple of kicking stunts from movies! That night, was the first time I managed to hit the target with such force that the sound produced by the impact was able to echo around the corridor. Went for supper together before heading back to our rooms.

Second day we experienced a physical training session more intense than what most of my friends at the JCs are experiencing. Lots of stretching, running about, and yes, that's only half of the explaination to how all of us went home with muscle aches. We went for our campus run after that. The distance covered was definitely more than the 2.4km run, but I felt little strain from my legs. Perhaps all that stretching has made my legs so much lighter that I no longer felt much pain, at least during the half hour run. Had breakfast, then we had the highlight of the camp's training. We went training for stamina, strength and endurance. Had the best training, though it was also the toughest. After lunch, went to take a nap till 2.30pm. That was where danger set in. I dscovered I was coming down with fever later on at 3pm, when I suddenly felt I was getting weaker and weaker by the minute. Drank lots and lots of water before perspiring lots and lots during the training later on. Time really flew during that part of the training. In the evening, we went for a video session after a great dinner, probably the most exciting of all the camps I had attended. I also had the first MST(Mental Skills Training) session. It's basically about boosting self confidence and being mentally prepared before taking on a major challenge. Learnt lots during the session, but won't elaborate here though.

Went out again in the evening, before sleeping through the night. In the morning, I was back to normal again. The temperature's gone down. Had full contact sparring later on, and that was the second time I put on a headgear for sparring. Here's what happened. Went up, put on the head gear, and got into position, nothing different. Perhaps, what caught the attention of many friends was the loudest shout I gave since the first day I stepped into the club? Anyways, all I did was simply recalling as many things learnt as possible back during the days of training after the incident at TP. Footwork, taking risks, waiting for the perfect chance, making full use of the time window. I still don't know whether I had improved alot, though I know that I did improve on my footwork. Still have much work to be done on perfecting my evasive techniques and counters though.

Today's training was extremely relaxed. Learnt some self defence techniques and fall-breaking techniques, before heading for dinner with the committee. Now, I'm back home, stomach feeling queasy from drinking too much water, and I have lost the mood to study for the computerised practical test tomorrow. Only one word is in my mind. Bed. Tomorrow's going to be one long day, so hopefully I can return to sleep at 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment