Each year, I'll spend a little time, pondering over little stuff that has happened over the past 364 or so days. This year, I wanted to make it special, since it's 2010, I'm probably in my final year as a teen(unless 20 is considered as the last), and I'm graduating in less than three months. Many thanks to Xing Dan, who inspired me to take on the challenge, since it's probably the best way to mark the end of the first decade of the second millennium(or, the third).
Ever since my age had a second digit to it, I stopped figuring who was truly a best friend. Honestly, I can count the number of friends I have with my fingers, and be left with a few still standing upright! I shall remember three friends. Three friends who have helped shape me from someone people would call a sitting duck, into a simple-minded individual who simply enjoys being there for others(even when he knows it's out of his league to do that much).
I have known this boy since I was 10. One of the few friends I had back in Primary 4. Zheng Yan. Probably the only prefect back in 2001 to spot 4 different badges on your left. Wondered how you managed to bear that weight, walking around during recess, climbing stairs, taking the bus home. Outspoken, always taking initiatives, you have showed me the basics of the meaning of friendship. In 2003, you looked at me with tears in your eyes upon seeing the green laminated script with the three digits that somehow dictated the future of every 12 year old. I could only stare back at you blankly, helpless, not knowing what to do, other than to tell you ,"don't be upset, you did better than me." You know, the incident at the fish shop that same year, was the last time I visited similar shops until 2 or 3 years back. Gosh, we stood there like status, as if looking at the fishes for answers to our innocent deed(it was their fault to place the tanks at such a position where there was little room for them to balance on their own). Still taller than me, you have become better looking, definitely more mature, but hey, you still sound almost the same!
Miss Lim(have yet to find her Facebook account), our first and last secondary school teacher(and the best teacher I've been taught by since I started schooling), sat us beside each other back in January 2004. A month later in February, we decided to go ask for her endorsement for us to make it to the councillor interviews. Like everyone in the world, you started small, and gradually made a name for yourself. We took similar, yet different paths. I still remember, we used to jostle with metal and plastic rulers, typical of 13 year-olds back then? Always there for me, yet I took things lightly every now and then. Perhaps the camera incident in 2006 was a blessing in disguise? The thousands of volts that ran through our hearts at the science lab taught us many things. I don't know what to say, although I had misplaced your trust, you welcomed me back almost as soon as it all ended, as if nothing had happened. Recently you had just returned from your overseas stint, a better groomed person, at least you're more tanned now. I just feel, though we seldom see each other, Randall too, it does wonders how simple stuff like meals, a movie series, books and the like could always help us relate to one another. Sometimes, we don't even need to think about what each other was thinking to know what we're feeling! I miss the days we studied together. Perhaps, history could repeat itself if we became course mates, or beter still, classmates, at NTU?
I don't know about this one. I just, don't know what to say. It all started with us electing a class representative back on Monday morning, 7th January 2008. There were the four of us. One who was the life, organising last minute class gatherings and lunches right after the dismissal bell went off everyday, without fail, there was one, who was always there to provide us with the support we needed, and there was you, the one who would never fail to point out your miss beautiful in the crowd to us every morning(well, almost). Sean, you have been like a guru, ever since the four of us left in different directions on our respective journeys. Many times, I come to you, you'll provide some useful advice, without fail. You gave me the chance to meet not one, but two friends who I came to know and grew really close to. Ever since I knew you, I have had many opportunities to travel those long journeys from the West to the East, to kill time, release stress, and to just catch up on the times. I can't wait to meet you guys soon!
Although it's been quite a while since I met them, I still see them every now and then, though not as often as when were were still seated in the same respective classrooms. I have 4 others, but I doubt I would stop at 7 if I were to type away.
I wonder, would it be possible, if some of the days, I end up writing to the same contact since I can't think of any other?
No comments:
Post a Comment