Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 17 — Someone from your childhood

Childhood. It's really long, yet I'm amazed I can vaguely remember facets of that past.


We took the same school bus, we played tag with the same group of friends, however, among us, I guess I was the worst off. I never really knew you very well until my second term of school 12 years ago. Back then, we were still small, extremely mischievous and fun-loving. Anything could become our topic of the afternoon or evening.


It was only when we were both 11, that we finally got to be in the same class. Shortly before that, fate had it that I should excel in my Mathematics when I was 10. That paper was the first since my first Semesteral Examination in Primary 1, where I could answer every question like a breeze, to the extent I looked in disbelief that I could solve a few 4 or 5-mark questions in just one, simple step.


When we were 8, we did something terrible yet weird, that was started and ended, by the same kid. Our early June holiday gift from him? A visit to the Principal's Office for an activity we took part in, but actions we were the victims of. Speak of not telling lies, when clearly, as kids, we had to tell them, for the opposite was more likely to be the real lie in their eyes. I remember there was once you said I got called to the Principal's Office with you, as we were throwing paper aeroplanes out the classroom window. Though I can't really remember it, maybe I did help you with a plane or two?


Well, after we graduated from Primary School, shortly after you came to my home for a barbecue. Can't really remember why, but that was how it was back then. Simple, yet enjoyable for all of us that evening. Ever since, we had been travelling on different routes, but the occasional plans of a girl and a few others who loved the occasional reunion of our P5/6 class, would bring our paths back together for a brief moment. Within those brief moments, we were able to catch up on the times, sometimes not noticing we had lost touch with one another until it was time for us to continue where we left off in our respective lives.


However, one thing's for sure, you still have your great sense of humour, and myself, I'm still kind of quiet in nature. And, our areas of study compliment each other, though we might not be working for the same company in future.

So much has passed, and it's simply wonderful to know that, I have at least one friend who's been there, walking with me since I was a kid, who had to climb onto a stool just to turn on the lights in a room. For everything we did right or wrong, but in the end the fun made it worth our while, I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment